Monday, July 7, 2014

July 6th

It's Sunday and the kids didn't wake up until after 8:30. Miracles do happen. But because I was planning on being up around 7 with  the kids, Aaron and I scrambled in the kitchen to get an egg casserole in the oven for church. We had a Sunday school brunch planned since or teacher was on vacation today. We made it to church but a little late. Then we found out we were the only ones who showed up to class today.
 
Breakfast-
Titus-granola with milk
Hannah-waffles with strawberries and bananas.
Aaron and sally-egg casserole
 
Lunch-leftover
 
Dinner-more leftovers
 
Observations from the first week
 
Aaron misses tea... a lot.  Or rather Aaron misses drinking anything other than plain water.  Before this fast we would go through 1-2 gallons of tea a day.  Each gallon had around 1/2-3/4 c sugar in it depending on who made it.  That's a lot of sugar per day.
 
The kids are doing so good about it.  I haven't heard one whine or complaint about not getting a dessert or something sweet.  They are super observant and quick to point out something is not an option because it has sugar in it.  And they are loving the fresh fruit all day. 
 
But the kids did cheat.  At church during Sunday school they always pass out snacks.  Hannah told her teacher they were doing a sugar fast and then only ate one Oreo (instead of the 2-4 that is a normal snack).  Why are we feeding out children Oreos as a snack???!!!  That's not a snack.  That's a special dessert.
 
Titus also got a snack in his Sunday school class of nilla wafers and goldfish.  So told me he only had two nilla wafers.  A little better than Oreos but I would sill love to some another alterative to church snacks.
 
They have already asked that next week I pack them a snack so they can eat it instead of the one offered in Sunday school class.  This is where I debate on being super strict about our fast and allowing the kids to eat whatever they want when I'm not feeding them.  I know there has to be a balance between teaching out children how much processed food has unnecessary added sugar while resetting out palates and system with showing graciousness and thankfulness to all the people who help out at the church and provide my children with a snack.
 
Lastly, I still miss my sweet or desserts  at night.  I never realized how much I pick at night until this fast.  I still eat some after dinner but its usually some fruit or a few chips with dip or salsa.  Not they cookie here, chocolate there, like I think I was doing before.  I had also gotten really bad about drinking soda before the fast.  I still miss it a lot.  But I made some soda water the other day and found it very satisfying plain or with a little lemon juice.
 
we'll see.  We still have 25 days to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment